Friday, July 31, 2015

People Dying by Light Savers :-)

Yesterday the #s and I got to sleep in late....and every time I looked at the clock, it was blinking.  Wanna know why it was blinking?  Cuz a snake decided that he wanted to be fried in the power station.  And apparently this isn't the first time....and apparently snake are dropped by birds here in Kentucky.  Pair that with the sinkholes around here and I'm a walking chewing my nails, hyperventilating, crazy woman.  I'm not a fan of snakes at all....but I'm also petrified of sink holes.  I've even looked into sink hole insurance...not that it matters cuz once you land in a sink hole, what in the world would you need insurance for?  Just another thing to add to my craziness as a wife and mother. 

Since we didn't have anything until the afternoon, I decided to put these cut little things called "Jamberrys" on my nails.  The #s were playing in the den......
#2:  Come on mom, play ball with us.
Me:  I can't, I'm doing my nails.
#s: WHAT!?!!?!!?
.....I am NOT a girlie girl, so this "doing my nail" business just shocked them. 

We headed to get our epi-pen forms and then to the pharmacy to get the epi-pens....
Pharmacy Tech:  Okay, for #1, his epi-pen comes to $69.95.
Me:  Great....I have a coupon for a $0 co-pay.
(Pharmacy Tech puts in the coupon)
Pharmacy Tech:  And #2's epi-pen comes to $500.....oh, that's two epi-pens...so hold on....$1000 even.
Me:  (after I pull my heart back where it belongs)  How in the world was #1's $69.95 and #2's is now $1000? 
Pharmacy Tech:  Well, I don't know.
Me:  They have the exact same insurance.....there is no way this can be correct.
Pharmacy Tech:  Well, that's what the computer says.
Me:  Then the computer is wrong....would you like me to take a look at it?
Pharmacy Tech:  Let me see.....oh.....we didn't have the insurance for #2.
Me:  Okay....here's his insurance card.
Pharmacy Tech:  (putting numbers in)  Okay.....#2's total comes to $350.
Me:  Nope...try again. 
Pharmacy Tech: (looking at more stuff) Finally.....$69.95.
Me:  And the free co-pay coupon.
Pharmacy Tech:  Look!  We did make them both $0.  You saved $2000....that's how much they would have cost if you didn't have insurance.
......SERIOUSLY!?!?!??!  Now I've got friends in the pharmacy business and I know things cost this and that, but this is an epi-pen....this can save my kid's life in a matter of seconds.  I can't even imagine if I didn't have insurance....or even if I didn't have the $0 co-pay coupon.

So since we had this little drama, I was late to the junior high to meet with #1's 7th grade teachers.  We are lucky and get to meet with these sweet people so they can find out about his latex allergy.  As I walked in (frantic with the #s), I saw 15 teachers in desks and chairs set out in front for us to sit and talk to them.  I felt like we were on a panel as we answered questions and explained how serious this latex allergy really is. 
Science Teacher:  Well, we do a few labs with latex.
Hubby:  Well, we'll have to find something else for #1.
Science Teacher:  And we actually do a lab with bananas.
.....I could feel #1's anxiety go through the roof....
Another teacher:  We could use strawberries because it has the same protein we need.
Everybody:  PERFECT! 
......this year might be a little rougher, but I'm telling you, I feel good about this year.  I mean, the ENTIRE group of 7th grade teachers were in attendance just to make sure that they all know about the allergy!  PRAISE THE LORD that we have people that love this kid and want to keep him safe...even before they know him!

We then headed to meet #2 and #3's teachers.  #3 is in class with some of his friends, but was pretty devastated that another one of his friends wasn't in there.  We've had to explain to him that some years he won't be with all of his friends.....nice little meltdown there.  But he did have fun meeting his teacher.....he even talked to her and got a picture with her!  I mean, what if this is THE year....THE year that he starts to enjoy school and we don't have meltdowns?!?!?!?  Yeah, I'm not counting on it either.  :)

#3 did get a little frustrated because he had to find some stuff in the classroom.  He ended up asking me to write some of the things he found.  I think he was so overwhelmed....but we survived no meltdown at the back-to-school bash! 

#2 was excited to meet his teacher....he switches classes this year, which makes me so nervous.  He wanted to walk into each teacher's room and just look around.  I can't believe that he's going to be in 3rd grade.  I'm too young to have a 7th, 3rd and 2nd grader....but for some reason, #2 going to 3rd grade is hitting me hard.  I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about it. 

After a night of seeing former students, seeing current and new teachers, watching kiddos play outside, I went out with a friend....LOVE her heart!!!!  I'm telling you she is one amazing girl.....and sassssssyyyyy!  :-)

So I get home and I'm thinking the #s are gonna jump up and hug me and want to spend time with me.....
#1:  Oh great....now we've got to turn the movie off.
...seriously....did I open the door to the wrong house?  I found out that Hubby and the #s decided to watch Star Wars.  There's a little tension about them watching these movies cuz of what happened when #1 was about three years old.  See, Hubby didn't tell me that he let #1 watch one of the movies and the next morning, he went to work and #1 started crying....
Me:  Why are you crying?
#1:  I dreamed that worms came and got me.
.....I later found out that he was thinking of something from the movies that scared him.  So fast forward nine years....
#3:  (crying)  It's just so sad.  So so sad. 
Me:  What?
#3:  He died.  How do you end a movie with the guy dying?  He was so nice.
......SERIOUSLY!?!?!  Do I have to throw these movies away?
Me:  Well honey, you know, people die in real life.
#3:  (still crying)  Yes, but not with light savers (that's what he calls light sabers)....and not with double light savers. 
.....cue me consoling #3 last night...over a dead guy from a movie. 

So between the "back-to-school bashes" that I had today, I met Hubby and the #s to finish our school supply shopping....and $200 later, we finally have backpacks, lunchboxes and the rest of the supplies.  I mean, between that and our last shopping trip, we have spent about $450 and then I spent $267 on school supplies for my three schools.  It just makes me sad.  There was a time where we had to put it on a credit card and I'm thankful that we don't have to do that now, but I can't imagine how some of our precious school friends can afford this stuff.  I know there are programs, but seriously, I don't know that these programs have everything these kiddos need.  It makes me sad that our schools can't afford this stuff for our kiddos and how our families are spending paychecks on school supplies.  I will say that I am very blessed in our life by numbers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley