Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sometimes I Lose Control of My Mind

#2: UGH! I can't believe that girl. I can't believe she talks back to her parents!
Me: You talk back to your parents all the time!
#2: (huge sigh) NOT in an ice cream shop!
Me: We obviously need to live in an ice cream shop.
......I'm glad #2 sees how NOT to act....but I'm looking for real estate in ice cream shops just in case that would stop the back talking.

So this weekend has been a lot of "firsts" for our family.  For example, I let #1 walk to a friend's house after school on Friday.  Now, this took a LOT of coaxing from #1 and Hubby for me to let him do this.  I mean, we have a perfectly good vehicle that I can drive #1 to his friend's house...heck, I'll even drive the friend to his house.  All week, this is what #1 and Hubby said....
Listen Mom, I'm 12 years old.
Let him walk, he can text you when he gets there.
My friend knows a shortcut.
It's only a 5-10 minute walk.
.....but this is what I heard....
Mom, I'm still a child, please protect me.
His phone might die and he forget to let you know.
A shortcut is a place where bad guys hide.
It will take forever to get there and the last few minutes I might have to hitchhike.
....do you see how my brain works!??!?!??!

So I eventually caved and let him walk, but he had to come see me before he left and I was in the middle of car rider duty.....
#1:  Hi Mom!  I'm leaving!
Friend:  Bye!
Me:  WAIT!  Your mom hasn't texted me yet.  You have to stay until she does.
(a few minutes later I received a text)
Me:  Okay, it's time to go.
#1:  Bye...see you tomorrow!
Me:  WAIT!  I need a hug.
(give him a great big hug)
Me:  Don't talk to strangers.  Kick and scream and run if someone grabs you.  Run in a zig zag motion.  Text me as soon as you get there.  Don't take candy from anybody.....better yet, take NOTHING from anybody.  Stranger Danger.
#1:  Mom.....I've got this.  Bye.
Me:  One more hug.
#1:  (huge sigh) You're killing me.
Me:  (huge hug) It's killing me.  I love you so much.
#1:  Are you seriously tearing up?
Me:  Go.  Just go.  I love you!
#1:  Love you too.  See you tomorrow.
Me:  I hope so!
.....and then the waiting game begins.  I mean, 5-10 minutes seemed like an eternity.  What in the world is taking him so long?  How short is this shortcut?  What if he got hit by a car?  Finally....a text.....
#1:  I am here
Me:  Love you!  Have a blast....be nice.
....I got no response.  No "I love you".  Then my mind starts questioning....what if someone got him and is just texting me so I don't worry?  What if they stopped at a store?  What if there are lost?  Where exactly is "here"?  So I text Friend's mom a few minutes later.....
Me:  Make sure #1 gives Friend his present.
Friend's Mom:  Yes ma'am.
.....that doesn't tell me if he's there.  Did he make it?  Is this what an aneurysm feels like?  What is going on!!?!?!!??
Me:  Hope you're having a blast!
Friend's Mom:  Oh they are!  They are.....
.....and then she proceeds to tell me what they're doing.  Whew....they made it to their house and I absolutely love this family!!!!  So....I know he's safe.  All is calm back in my crazy world and I will now be able to leave the school building now and I won't have to check the side streets or pull up to the house to make sure he made it or check the area hospitals.  Or what if someone took the friend's mom's phone and is texting for her!!!?!??!!

Friday night we celebrated my birthday by going to eat.  I felt like the fat girl in a sorority house.  They were EVERYWHERE!!!!!  Matching shirts, lots of loud laughing and tons of flirting with the waiters.  #2 kept on staring at the girls everywhere.  Shield your eyes kiddo, you're too young.

Then we went to an ice cream shop.  Before the "talking back" incident mentioned above, I saw the lady cutting a banana, with no gloves, didn't wash the cutting board, and put the dirty blender on a shelf.  I just looked at Hubby.....
Hubby:  Ready to go?
Me:  I'm having heart palpitations.
#3:  I wanna eat my ice cream here!  I love birthday cake ice cream.
.....so I decide to go to the girl at the counter.....
Me:  Hi.....we are deathly allergic to bananas and I see that you didn't wear gloves when you cut that last one up nor did you wash the cutting board.  Can you clean those blenders with hot water and soap and wash your hands and wear gloves before you handle my food so I don't die please?
.....as you can tell.....I'm done being nice about this latex allergy, but I DID say please!
Girl:  Sure!  We want to be safe right?
Me:  Yes.  I don't want to be dead tonight.
She washes the blenders, washes her hands and puts on gloves.  Everything is pretty good.  Another guy comes to Hubby and asks him what he wants and put the orange to cut on the cutting board.....
Me:  You'll be having banana in your smoothie.
Hubby:  Great.......at least I'm not allergic.
...and then the whole "talking back" thing happened.  It's a wonder I let our family go out anywhere anymore.

 We then head to the store.  Now....we went in for pillows....I'm pretty sure we didn't buy $184 dollars worth of pillows since we only got four, but we did spend more than I was wanting.  I'm guessing part of that reason is because the school supplies were on clearance....and I stocked up for next year....
 ....yeah, #2 wasn't too thrilled with me thinking about next year, but seriously, you can't pass up a deal when it comes to school supplies....they cost so stinkin' much!

#3: I need new shoes.
Me: Why?
#3: Cuz the bottom is coming off....see?
Me: Oh my! How long has it been like that?
#3: A long time....but I just noticed it yesterday.
Great.  Just great.  So now we have to buy shoes.  THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A TRIP FOR PILLOWS!!!!  As I shopped for school supplies, Hubby searched with #3 to find shoes.  I saw #3's face when I came around the corner.  I knew something was up.....I would either think they are ugly or they were gonna be too much.....I wasn't prepared for both.  These shoes look like they are coated in plastic.  They have lights on them.  And to top it off, each shoe has a compass....you know, in case one shoe decides to go on its own adventure.  But then I saw this face.....
.....look at that happy face.  FINE.  We'll take the shoes.  Good thing the store had a $10.00 coupon for shoes today.  So another first.....shoes that cost more than what I wear every day.  

We came home and I had decided to not decorate #3's birthday cake until Saturday morning.  But then I thought "I do not want to get up early on a Saturday morning".....so after 2 1/2 hours....I made my first "Toothless with Fear on top and Fear has to be scared because Toothless is flying" cake.....
....and then he had the nerve to ask "is that just a toy cuz I really wanted to eat Fear".  


Me:  You know that you don't have to sign-up.
#2:  I know, but I really like to play.
Me:  Then why are you scared?
#2:  I'm afraid this is the year that I'm gonna get hurt.
Me:  Well, it could be.  But you can't just stop doing things cuz you're afraid of getting hurt.  
#2:  I know....and I WANT to play so bad....it's just that the other kids are gonna be taller than me.
Me:  Taller doesn't mean smarter, better,  or faster.....just look at me.  I'm short, but I'm smart, great and fast. 
#2:  (starts laughing) You make me laugh!!!!
.....I'm not sure if I should be glad I made him laugh or be offended!!!??!!?  But sure enough, he walked into the gym and when one of the coaches called him a "veteran of the game", he smiled and all was right in this athlete's world....
....and then Momma's heart started pounding due to knowing that he's moving up in divisions and that this Momma is gonna have to sit on the sidelines again keeping her mouth shut, cringing at every hit and cheering this precious boy on!  Never in a million years did this musician momma think she'd birth an athlete.  

So the big birthday party was in the late afternoon.  It surprised me how many little people #3 wanted to invite, but in his own environment, he was a happy, outgoing little boy.  He had so much fun with his friends!  Though he did have a plan and a schedule.  In fact, he made sure that when it was time to do something, he whispered in my ear what was next.  This picture spoke to me.  The look in his eyes, the smile on his face.....it's too much for this Momma!  I absolutely ADORE this picture....
.......and at one point in his party, #1 was yelling (you know, a pre-teen trying to be funny)....
Me:  #1, stop yelling.  This is not your party.
Hubby:  It's okay.  One day he won't even want to be at his brother's party.  He'll be on the phone texting his girlfriend.  
.....stomach hurt, lump in throat, head spinning......WHY WOULD YOU SAY THIS TO ME RIGHT NOW!?!?!?  I'm seriously keeping my kiddos in this house for the rest of their lives.  Which I think they already have planned because they've talked about having parties in "their" house every weekend when we die.  WHAT!?!??!?!?

So...here's a last for ya.....next Sunday is our last Sunday at Crossland's Bowling Green campus!  SAY WHAT!?!?!?!?  I was talking to a friend who said that next in our last Sunday here.  I am so pumped about Butler County, but to know that it's my last time at the BG campus breaks my heart.  I did have two people ask if I was going when Butler County opened.....I'm assuming that's part of the role of marriage, so I guess so.  :-)  I truly am excited about this door that God has opened wide for us, but I am sad to not see my BG friends that often.  I can't imagine how big of a basket case I'm gonna be next Sunday.  Guess I better be bringing the tissues with me.....cuz this Momma will be crying next Sunday with our life by numbers!  

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley