Thursday, August 20, 2015

I'm Not a Fan of Sharps....

This warms my heart......I obviously mean the "campus portal" notification.  I hated learning the chromatic scale when I played flute.  I also am not a fan of sharps which is probably why I don't like the chromatic scale.  I used to change all the sharps to flats in my band book and get in so much trouble.  I'm so proud of #1 and his hard work in band.  He keeps saying how much he loves it and his teachers and how much he enjoys playing the trombone.  I am BLESSED that he loves music....cuz I sure didn't think he'd follow in our footsteps at all when it came to music. 

Last night there was an issue.....it goes something like this.....



.....yeah, we had a meltdown.  During this meltdown, he fell asleep in Hubby's closet.  We debated on whether to leave him there, but I sure didn't want him to wake up and be upset.  This meltdown was short-lived...like only about five minutes.  YAY for baby steps! 

Today was a great day!  I am getting used to my schedule and actually using my planning to get a ton done...and I've decided to get out and talk to people more.  What is this new leaf I've turned over?!?!?!?  Stay calm people....it's only the third week of school...I'm sure I'll slack and hole myself in my room, work more at home and find a problem with my schedule soon.  Don't panic folks....all will be right with the world soon! 

Well I'm guessing #2 really did learn his lesson about making sure that he had the correct homework finished each night.  Tonight he checked two or three times, we checked the e-mail that one of his teachers sent AND he went over his agenda.  He said he never wants to run the track an extra lap again and he wants to eat in the classroom every Friday.  Lesson learned?  We shall see! 

Picture this......#3 has been EXCITED about doing his homework all week.  The one he wanted to do today was write his teacher an e-mail using his spelling words.  He's been thinking about this e-mail all week and wanted to wait until tonight to do it.  Well......
......you guessed it, he forgot ALL that he wanted to say.  I'm pretty sure this meltdown lasted from 3:50pm to 5:45pm.  I would love to say that I'm exaggerating.  I would love to say that he's crying with laughter.  This was pure crying for 1 hour and 55 minutes.  Crying.  Screaming.  Stomping.  Pouting.  And #3 was crying too.  So we finally got math and spelling finished.  This is on top of working with #2 with his spelling and #1's vocabulary words.  Seriously folks.....ONE HOUR AND FIFTY FIVE MINUTES!!!!  And yes, I did try to hug him....and yes, I got hit...and yes, I decided I wasn't hugging him anymore during this meltdown.  I mean, I feel so stinkin' sorry for him.  I'm soooo glad he feels comfortable to do this at home....mostly because I don't want him to feel comfortable to do this at school or someone else's house.  That's my worst fear....I mean seriously, a HUGE fear of mine.  The therapists keep saying that he has so much anxiety, fear, anger, sadness, etc. inside of him all day that he has to let it go.  This could be anything from getting an answer wrong on a test to a friend looking at him wrong.  Just breaks my heart.  


But.....we did get homework finished!!!!  He also wanted to write his words in shaving cream.  WE DON'T HAVE SHAVING CREAM!!!!!  Okay...calm down Kelley.  I can do this.....
Me:  We have lotion.
#3:  (starting to cry)  I can't use lotion....I have to use shaving cream.
Me:  No you don't!!!!  The paper says you can be creative!  So....let's do some calming lotion. 
#3:  What?  I can? 
Me:  Yes....see...and while we use it, it smells good and will calm us all.
#3:  Okay. 
....."okay"?  OKAY!?!??!?!  That's all it took?!?!!?!?!  I'll lather you in calming lotion if that's all it takes child.  How can I not be smart enough to find the key thing that turns off this crying?  I'm pretty sure that if I could read his mind, we would avoid most of these meltdowns.  WHY DON'T I HAVE THE SUPERPOWER TO READ MINDS?!?!?!?!


So here is us working on writing his name in "please let us get through this homework so Mommy doesn't have a meltdown", I mean, "calming" lotion.....

.....as you can see, we started with #3 "erasing" the word if he messed up, but he didn't like the lotion on his fingers.  Oh course he didn't.  So I ended up being his "eraser" and he used a pencil to write the words.  You know, whatever works friend.....whatever works cuz I'm just living in our life by numbers!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley