Monday, November 9, 2015

Forgiveness

So this week I've heard #1 say a lot of "I forgive you"s.  I wasn't quite sure why he said that, so I kept listening to his conversations.  Today on the way to school....
#1:  It's okay, I forgive you.
#2:  But I didn't say I was sorry.
#1:  I know, but I forgive you anyway.  You don't have to say you're sorry, but I do need to forgive you.
Me:  You do realize that you don't have to tell him that you forgive him.....you can just forgive him.  
#1:  WHAT?!?!!?  Doesn't he want to know that I forgive him?
#2:  I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FORGIVING ME FOR!!!  I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!
....needless to say, this got a little heated as we dropped #1 off at school.  

After we dropped #1 off at school.....
#2:  So I don't get it.  Why is he forgiving me?
Me:  I'm guessing you've done something to hurt his feelings he's telling you that he forgives you.  
#2:  But why is he forgiving me?
Me:  Sometimes people hurt us and we have a lot of anger built up in us....but it's not hurting the one that hurt us....who is it hurting. 
#3:  It's hurting me!
#2:  And me!
Me:  That's right.  Sometimes we just have to forgive people.....and even though we might never see them again, we cleanse our heart of that hatred of the wrong that they did to us.  We don't dwell on it anymore.  We can laugh about it instead of getting heated about it.  
#2:  I forgive you #3!
#3:  I forgive you too #2!

I've come to the realization that #1....and eventually #2 and #3....was doing something that I need to do....I need to forgive the ones that hurt me.  I feel that in my life, I've forgiven people and told them. I've asked for forgiveness.  But there are people that I still have that pinned up hatred for because of the wrong that they've done to me and it's hurting no one else but me.  So.....I forgive you.  There, I said it.  I forgive all that you've done to me.  I forgive the words that were said to me and about me.  I forgive the things that were done to me.  

And I hope that the wrongs that I've caused, well, that you'll forgive me......I'm sorry.  I'm sorry for the hurtful things I've said, the advice I've given, the times I wasn't there when you needed me, the times I ignored you, hurt you, made you cry, made you angry.  I'm truly sorry.  

Funny how we see our kiddos doing just what we should be doing.....them teaching us......there's always a lesson to be learned in our life by numbers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley