Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Drunk on Sugar

So....I feel the need to tell you how absolutely crazy my life can be.....which might explain how absolutely off the wall, over the top I can be because of my crazy life.

Picture this.....#3 is at his Halloween party.  He's been given three containers of different colored icing.  He's also been given four or five containers of sprinkles and candy.  He received this, along with all the other kiddos, to decorate cookies.  In the back of my mind, I knew that he couldn't handle that much sugar, but am I really going to take this away from him?  I left to go to #2's party and then headed back to give #3 some info about what to do after school.  #3 has now put icing all over his pizza and is adding sprinkles to it....ON HIS PIZZA!!!!  I'm shocked, but didn't really understand the issue I was going to have until....
Me:  (whispering in his ear) Okay honey, I'll meet you in my room after school
#3:  (sounds completely hammered)  OKAY MOMMY!  HAVE FUN.....I AM!
.....I knew what was ahead of us....I thought.  I knew that the night would be chaotic.....I thought.  I knew that we could get through this and wake up tomorrow back in his normal state....I thought.

Does this give you a preview of things to come.....
....I mean, look at the icing all over his face.  Look at his eyes drunk with sugar.  Look at his tongue hanging out like he's crazy.  Look at his ears burning on a sugar high.  This is just a picture people...JUST A PICTURE!!!!

On the way home, #3 doesn't stop talking.  I heard about his day, his party, recess, lunch, any little thing that happened in the hallway, his friend's clothes....and I heard about it all the way home.  #1 looked at me with a horrified look on his face...it's okay kiddo, we'll make it through.

We get home and I sit on the couch.....and for the next three hours #3 is jumping, pulling, pushing, yelling, arguing, laughing, crying, being silly.....THREE HOURS!  It was like watching a drunk person trying to act like nothing is wrong.  #3 couldn't speak without slurring his words.  He couldn't walk without tripping.  He would get angry and get physically violent and then he would cry big ol' crocodile tears and then he would laugh uncontrollably until he'd start all over.  It was the wildest thing I've ever seen.....a seven year old drunk on sugar!

The next few days were like living in a detoxing unit.  #3 woke up in a very bad mood.  We had a football game for #2 and #3 pouted most of the first half....over what?  He only got one granola bar for breakfast and everybody else got two.....but since we ran out, it was obviously our fault and warranted a meltdown all the way to the game and through the first half.

The rest of the day was pretty much like that.....anything and everything set him off.....either tears, laughing, yelling, or completely quiet.  I kept thinking "maybe he just needs another nap......he'll be over this by tomorrow".

Right now you could cue the laughing....like the deep belly laughing when you know that something isn't going to happen the way you're hoping, praying, begging it would.  #3 had a meltdown at church.  Now, you've got to remember that Hubby has been the campus pastor since September at this location and we've successfully had zero meltdowns....until November 1st....
Me:  It's time to go to class.
#3:  IT'S NOT FAIR....IT WAS MY TURN AND I HAVEN'T HAD A TURN YET. 
Me:  Okay...go finish your turn and then go to class.
#3:  IT'S TOO LATE!  IT'S NOT FAIR!  I DIDN'T GET A TURN!
....and he ran into the coffee area...and that's where I left him.  I checked people into classes, greeted our new friends, did the announcements (and made sure that #1 was watching to make sure #3 didn't run out the door), and came back and asked if he wanted to go to class.....
Me:  You can either go to class or you can read your Bible.  Either way, you need some Jesus. 
#3:  Oh I GOT Jesus.  
Me:  Pick one....you obviously need more.  
......and that little stinker opened his Bible and started reading...out loud.....just to prove a point.  I went back to the coffee area a few minutes later and told him it was his last chance to go to class.....and he stood up, looked at me, rolled his eyes, and walked to class.

So I'm thinking Sunday afternoon...."maybe tonight's sleep will make him go back to normal".....and to tell you the truth, I didn't even believe it when I thought it or when I said it out loud.  And I knew that he still hadn't detoxed when he was at #2's football game on Monday night and he was shaking his booty, yelling for #2's team, yelling AT the referees, dancing so everybody could see him.  Hubby looked at me....
Hubby:  You know, it would have a total meltdown if he really knew what he was doing and how everybody was looking at him.
....and he was exactly right.  There are times the kiddo won't even look at people and yet he has his hand on his butt and dancing backwards while making "umph" noises....it was funny and embarrassing all at the same time.

Right before #3 had therapy, I talked to his therapists about his behavior.  They both said sugar is one of the worst drugs ever and once you have some, you crave more.  #3 just can't handle his sugar. You know what the scary part is?  He WAS drunk on sugar.  When his therapist asked him about what happened, #3 couldn't tell her everything cuz he couldn't remember everything.  In fact, he totally doesn't remember his Halloween party at school or dancing at the football game.....and THAT, my friends, is our life by numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley