Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Well...I do have a heart!

I went to the cardiologist today.  I can't tell you that I wasn't nervous, but I can tell you that Hubby and I try to see the humor in everything when we're going through stuff...and today was no exception!

First of all, it's always interesting when you go to an office where you're the youngest person...by far...and when I write "by far", I mean by at least 30 years.  Here I was all worried this morning about what to wear and I could have worn my moo moo and slippers and fit right in.  Instead, I wore jeans and a colorful top and stuck out like a sore thumb.

So the problem...or what I thought was the problem...was that my heart was going from 142 beats per minute and dropping immediately to 37 beats per minute...and I could feel it...and felt weird every time.  I have already had an EKG and worn a heart monitor for 24 hours...and we all know that NOTHING is going to show up when you're looking for it, so seeing a cardiologist was the next step.  

I'm pretty picky about who my family sees when it comes to the medical world...or any world, really.  I don't just go to anybody...did that once and will NEVER so that again.  So I carefully find out information about the best people that are going to take care of my family in the world of medicine.  This was no exception...I decided to contact our dentists to ask about this cardiologist...you really never know who I'm going to ask about you.  They not only knew him...the guy goes to church at Crossland AND is in our dentist's life group...did I mention that I think very highly of our dentist...and they are fabulous friends of ours?  

So we show up to the lobby and I'm looking around...
Me:  Hubby?

Hubby:  Yes?

Me:  I am the youngest patient here...by like 30 years.

Hubby:  It's okay.

Me:  I really think I'm going through this to help you be a better pastor.

Hubby:  You think God is allowing you to have heart issues to help me?

Me:  Yes...
....I mean, I am a giving person.  

I put my paper ticket in the box and sit next to Hubby and The View is on.  Insert eye roll and Hubby trying to whisper about the show...
Me:  Stop.

Hubby:  Stop talking?

Me:  Yes.

Hubby:  Why?

Me:  You cannot whisper. 

So as we're listening to that awful show, I start listening to people...like the 80 year old woman who has obviously forgotten her hearing devices, but is trying to whisper to her husband "I really need to shave my legs...I mean look how bad they are...it's been a while...but look at my ankles...yes, those legs need to be shaved".  All the while, her husband is nodding...and not listening to a word she's saying.  

And then I see a man that had multiple files and papers in his arms. He goes to the boxes to put his ticket in and he can't read the boxes.  He immediately put on his glasses on and realized he was in the wrong place and said "I'm in the wrong place...again...I've got to stop doing this".  I really felt bad for him...but at least he was smiling and had a great sense of humor about it.  

Finally they call my name.  The lady looks at me like "seriously, aren't you too young to be here".  I am smiling, talking at a normal level, and walking....
Nurse:  So, are you here for chest pains?

Me:  No...I'm here because my heart beats are all over the place. 

Nurse:  Oh!  
...and you could see her relax a bit.  Next thing I know, I'm sitting in a room for an EKG...and he two ladies remember me from last time...am I the only patient that actually remembers them?  We talked about how one is dealing with a salesman and about how they are glad to see me.  Okay...I'll take that as a compliment and not a "glad to see you're still having problems" comment.  

Another lady comes in....
Lady:  Are you Kelley?

Me:  Yes.

Lady:  Alright baby, lift up your shirt.
...I'm here to tell you that I usually don't hear that from random strangers.  In fact, I don't think I've ever heard that.  The sad thing is I kept talking to the other two technicians, lifted my shirt, and went on with life as she's putting these stickers all over me.  

And then...it's over in 5 seconds.  I cannot see the point in an EKG.  Anybody looking for something is not gonna find it in 5 seconds...and it's especially not gonna be found in a doctor's office in 5 seconds.  

So we meet this cardiologist and he is so extremely nice.  He shakes our hand, he's smiling, he's got great manners.  He's talking to us a bit and then says "do you go to Crossland".  YAY!!!!  INSTANT CONNECTION!!!  But here's the best part, nothing changed about his personality when he found out we go to church together...makes me happy that he's the same no matter what.  

Anyhoo...so he shows us the data and he's not worried a bit about my heart beats per minute.  In fact, he says it's quite normal.  Fabulous...I'll be going now.  

Then he shows me these heart palpitations that I have...ummmm....that's a lot of skipping beats.  I mean, I'm a musician.  I can't be skipping beats like that.  I'm supposed to have perfect beat for fabulous rhythm.  Apparently that's not the case with my heart...it's skipping everywhere.  But he's still not worried.  Okay...that's weird, but I'll be going now.

Doctor:  What I am concerned about is about the chest pains you had while you were wearing the heart monitor. How many times does this happen?

Me:  I don't know...couple of times a week...I chalk it up to heartburn.  

Doctor:  Is it a sharp pain?

Me:  Yeah, like a stabbing pain. 
....at this point, I realize Hubby isn't talking...I know that's not good cuz he's soaking things in.  

Doctor:  Do you do anything to make it stop?

Me:  No...I move around, but nothing really helps it...it just stops.  

Doctor:  I'm going to prescribe two tests...an echocardiogram and a stress test.  I want to make sure there is no blockage and nothing wrong structurally...and I want to put your mind at ease about the skipping beats.  

I smiled.  We said thank you.  We scheduled my fall break full of tests and a doctor's appointment.  And then Hubby and I walked hand in hand out the door...
Me:  Seriously.  What are you thinking?

Hubby:  He's a really nice....

Me:  Cut the crap.  I don't want the pastor Hubby...I want my Hubby...what are you thinking?

Hubby:  Your heart skips a lot of beats and I'm really glad we're going to do more tests.  

Me:  That's what I was thinking too.

Hubby:  You were?

Me:  Yeah, that I'm a little worried too.  

So that's that.  I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to make some jokes from the next few doctor's appointments....I mean, how in the world is that stress test gonna work?  I'm gonna walk on a treadmill and they'll show me pictures of what makes me stressed?  And looking at my heart...I would love to see those pictures...maybe to prove to some people that I have one.  

But no matter what happens...I'm going to focus on the precious family and life that God has given me in our life of numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley