Saturday, October 8, 2016

Fall Break Plans

#2:  I can't stand it...all of my friends are going on a fall break trip and we're not.  We're the only ones not going to the beach.  It's not fair.  

Me:  We've got some plans...

#2:  Not plans that I want to do.

Me:  Maybe not...it's really what you make of it.  Daddy has taken a few days off so we can be together as a family...that's the point of fall break.

#2:  Can't we be together as a family on the beach?

Me:  Yes!

#2:  Really?!?!??!

Me:  Yes, this summer we are going to the beach...as a family.

#2:  You're not funny.

Me:  Yes I am...you just don't know it yet.  
...yes, that's the conversation we had the Wednesday before fall break...and the Thursday before...and the Friday before...the Saturday of...the Sunday of...and I'm pretty sure we heard it the Monday of fall break.

So by Monday, I had to lay the hammer down...
Me:  I am sick of hearing about you not going to the beach.  What all did you do this past summer?

#2:  We went to Sanibel...

Me:  And?

#2:  Church camp.

Me:  And?

#2:  Basketball camp.

Me:  And?

#2:  Football camp.

Me:  And I teach kiddos at three schools and I guarantee that most of my students didn't go anywhere.  I have kiddos that worry how they'll eat dinner each day...so they're not going to the beach this week. I have kiddos that have parents that don't get to take off work for Fall Break so they stay by themselves.  I have kiddos that don't get to ever go on vacation.  We have families that we support at Christmas because their parents can't afford toys for their children.  You have got to stop comparing your life to others...but if you're going to continue to do that, you must think about the children that don't get things that you get.  

#2:  I'm so sorry Mommy.  I didn't know that some kids have it that bad and don't get to do things that I get to do.  I love you Mommy....thanks for all you do for me.
...this was our conversation.  He now has started talking about our beach trip this summer...and asked if we could bring some kiddos that have never seen the beach.

So we did a few things...on Monday we went to the church building and worked for seven hours.  I mean, do we know how to have fun or what?!?!?!?  It's so nice to have everything in order...and now people can go in there and find anything they need.  I mean, look how fabulous this looks....

We obviously owed a great deal to the #s after the cleaning day.  So we took them to the zoo on Tuesday.  They had a blast.  #1 got to collect a ton of stuff on his Pokemon game...I mean, almost every animal had their own PokeStop.  How do I know about this?  Duh...I play.  He had a blast telling us what he was getting and catching more Pokemon.  Hubby and I did this with him...until our phone died.  I mean, seriously, #1 has one of those charging cases and because of this game, I'm gonna have to get one.

After the zoo, we took the #s to The Melting Pot.  Yes, we took the #s to The Melting Pot.  #1 has wanted to go with us...and I'm all about spending time with him...especially since he's a teen and he still considers us cool...or rad...or tolerable.

We took the scenic route and decided to park and walk around downtown.  We got some cute pictures of the #s.  They got to see a man ask Hubby to take a picture with him and Elvis.  #3 turned around and saw "The Beer Man" ask people to sign his shirt.  We saw a man standing on a speaker on the corner preaching to everybody about how we're going to hell.  Just the walk to The Melting Pot was an eye opening field trip for the #s.

So here was our night out...

1.  I took #3 to the restroom...
     #3:  Where are the dryers for our hand?
     Me:  They don't have them.  
     #3:  What do I use?
     Me:  These towels.
     #3:  Mommy, these are called napkins.  You want me to dry my hands on a napkin?
     Me:  Yes, yes I do.
     #3:  Can they not afford dryers for your hands?
     Me:  This is going to be a long night.

2.  We get back to the waiting area and #2 has his shoes off...
     Me:  WHY do you have your shoes off?
     #2:  I thought we could...is that a no here?
     Me:  Put your shoes back on and don't take them off.

3.  We had two burners on our table...
     #s:  This is so cool!!!
     Me:  Don't touch the burners.
     #s:  Are they hot?
     Hubby:  They will be...don't touch them.
     (waitress puts napkins on the stove part...the #s just looked at us suspiciously)

4.  The table...
     #1:  I touched something that feels like rubber on the table.
     Hubby:  Well don't touch it.
     #1:  But I did...is it latex?
     (Hubby looks at it)
     Hubby:  No, it's not, but don't keep touching it.
     #1:  Can I lick it?

5.  They brought us the cheese...
     #3:  Where is the cheese dip?
     Waitress:  I'm making the cheese fondue.
     #3:  I don't want fondue...I want cheese dip.
     Me:  Same thing...just eat....sorry ma'am...they don't get out much.

6.  They put beer in the cheese dip fondue....
     #1:  OH MY GOODNESS!  We can't eat that, it's got beer in it. 
     Me:  It's fine honey, people cook with alcohol.
     #1:  Oh great...we'll all be drunk and we'll drive home...or we can't drive home...and we're  
            stuck.

7.  They brought us our meat and veggies...
     #2:  We have to cook our own meat?
     #3:  This tastes awful.
     #1:  My food fell off the stick.
     #3:  This chicken tastes weird.
     #2:  I don't like the pasta.
     #1:  I like this place.
     #3:  Oh yeah...thanks for bringing us.
     #2:   Yeah, the cheese was great.  

8.  They bring the dessert...
     #1:  That is the yin/yang symbol!  That is awesome!  I don't want to mess it up cuz it looks so    
            good.
     #2:  THIS ONE HAS PEANUT BUTTER IN IT!!!
     #3:  This is the best part!  This is delicious!  
     #2:  Can we come back just for dessert next time?


I will say that it was fun hearing the #s...but boy were they loud.  We must have told them 20+ times to turn down their volume...
#1:  We're just not fancy Mom...we're loud.  
...and to be honest, I wouldn't trade that for the world...but don't tell them or they'll be much louder!  ;)

The rest of the week was about walks down our neighborhood, playing outside, #3 going fishing with one of his best friends, doctor's appointments, and going out with our friends and walking downtown to get Pokemon and riding scooters!  And even though we didn't grant #2's wish, he has done a lot of snuggling with me and told me that he's had a great time this week since Mommy and Daddy were home with all of us...and has asked about planning that beach trip for this summer.  I absolutely LOVE our life by numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting! God bless you!
Grace and Peace,
Kelley